Please note: This is an updated and refreshed version of an article by Lisa Raehsler in 2013.
Google Trends: Allows you to discover the most popular topics on Google’s database, along with the latest trending news worldwide or by regions and subregions.
It also allows you to compare the popularity of multiple terms at a time and the relevant search queries since 2004. Also, Hot Searches help you discover the latest trending searches.
Google Autocomplete: Google’s autocomplete feature when conducting a search can be useful if you want a series of personalised suggestions, while it can also give you an idea of the relevant suggestions, or what other people search for similar queries.
Bing Trends: A report of the most popular trends of the previous year, also providing insights and stats on the popular search queries.
Bing Webmaster Keyword Research Beta: Find what people are searching for with Bing’s data its organic searches. A comprehensive description of this tool can be found in Bing Keyword Research Tool: Highlights & Limitations.
Bing Ads Marketplace Trends: This tool makes targeting easier for advertisers, as it analyses ad scheduling trends, device trends, and location trends. Read more about it in Bing Launches Marketplace Trends Site to Help Targeting.
Adwords’ Display Planner (replacing YouTube Keyword Tool): Google has decided to replace Youtube’s keyword tool with Display Planner through Adwords two years ago and many users were left shocked. Now you can search for your Youtube keywords through Display Planner on Adwords, by filtering the results to video keywords on “Get Ad Group Ideas”
Facebook Trending Topics: Facebook’s trending feature presents the most popular topics and hashtags, depending on the users’ likes, the location, and the general popularity of each story.
Twitter Search: Find what people are talking about on Twitter by keyword, hashtag, or user name. What’s more, advanced search offers many features, such as the use of emoticons and the attitude they are associated with.
YouTube Trends: Youtube compiles lists of the most popular videos, by examining both the keywords and the video views. Trending videos are measured by the embedded video views, along with the actual views on Youtube, in order to highlight the unique trends that occur on the popular video platform.
Google’s Year in Search: Google presents the most popular topics of the year and the search queries they inspired and although it is only updated yearly, it may still offer an interesting insight on what people are searching for.
Übersuggest: Übersuggest promises to help you find new keywords that are not available in Google’s Keyword Planner. Narrow down your search by language, country, or search type, among Web, Images, Shopping, Youtube, and News.
Top Searches, Questions, Topics, Trends
We’ve compiled a list of our past articles with the most popular topics and searches of the past years to give you a better idea of the top keywords, searches, trends for each year:
- Bing reveals the top US and UK searches of 2015
- SEW’s 10 most popular articles of 2015
- How US consumers are researching holiday gift ideas in 2015
- Yahoo Shares Its Top Searches for 2014
- Bing Reveals Top Searches for 2014
- Ask.com’s Top Searches of 2014 & Predictions for 2015
- Google Reveals Top Searches of 2013: From Nelson Mandela to Twerking
- 2013 Search Year in Review with Bing, Yahoo & Ask.com
- Twitter 2013 Year in Review: Notable Features, News & Research
- Google Zeitgeist: Top Trending Global, Event, People Searches
- Bing Top Searches: Those Kardashian People, iPhone 5 & Beyonce’s Baby
- Yahoo Year in Review 2012: Election, iPhone 5 & Kim Kardashian
- Ask.com’s Top Question: Will Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart Get Back Together?
- Twitter Year in Review: Top People, Trends & Events of 2012
- Google Zeitgeist: Rebecca Black, Google+, Ryan Dunn Top Searches
- Top Bing Searches: Bieber, Kardashian & Royal Wedding
- iPhone Tops Web and Mobile Searches on Yahoo
- Ask’s Top Question: Was Kim Kardashian’s Wedding Fake?
- AOL Hottest Searches: Charlie Sheen, Casey Anthony & Harry Potter
- Facebook Memology: Megan Fox, Rihanna, lms
- Twitter’s Year in Review: Egypt, Rebecca Black, Social Good
- Top 20 Global Social Video Ads of 2011 From Unruly
- What were we watching this year? Let’s rewind 2011. – YouTube Blog
- Google Zeitgeist: The Year’s Top Searches
- Bing’s Top Searches: Kim Kardashian Dashes to Top Spot
- Yahoo Search Year in Review: BP, World Cup, Miley Cyrus
- Ask.com’s Top Questions: Users Prefer Dunkin’ Coffee
- AOL’s Hottest Searches: Bedbugs, Tiger Woods, BP
- 10 Top 10s: Search Year in Review
- Top 10 Twitter Trends
- YouTube Rewind: Top Searches, Videos