Chase Winovich was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (77th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft…Four-year letter-winner at Michigan, playing in 45 games with 26 starts and totaled 185 tackles, 45 tackles for loss, 18 sacks, three forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.
Chase Winovich was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (77th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft.
2019 (16/0, 1/0)
- Made his NFL debut in a reserve role on the defensive line and made one tackle in the season-opening victory vs. Pittsburgh (9/8).
- Contributed in a reserve role on the defensive line with two tackles while also adding 1½ sacks in the win at Miami (9/15). He combined with LB Jamie Collins for his first-career sack in the third quarter and then picked up his first solo sack for an 8-yard loss in the fourth quarter.
- Contributed defensively with one tackle and combined with LB Kyle Van Noy for a half-sack during the win vs. the N.Y. Jets (9/22).
- Made one tackle and added a sack for an 11-yard loss in the victory at Buffalo (9/29).
- Made two tackles and added a sack for an 8-yard loss in the win at Washington (10/6). He has now had at least a half-sack in four straight games, tying a team record for a rookie.
- Scored his first career touchdown when he returned a blocked punt by RB Brandon Bolden six yards for a first quarter score in the win vs. the New York Giants (10/10). Also added a tackle on special teams.
- Contributed on defense with a half-sack in the win vs. Cleveland (10/27). Combined with Adam Butler on the half-sack in the fourth quarter.
- Made two tackles on defense and added one tackle on special teams in the win at Philadelphia (11/17).
- Contributed on defense and special teams and recorded one sack in the loss at Houston (12/1).
- Saw limited defensive snaps and contributed on special teams in the AFC Wild Card loss vs. Tennessee (1/4).
- Four-year letter-winner at Michigan, playing in 45 games with 26 starts and totaled 185 tackles, 45 tackles for loss, 18 sacks, three forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.
- Earned Associated Press third-team All-American honors as a senior in 2018.
- Two-time All-Big 10 honoree in 2017 and 2018.
- Started all 13 games along the defensive line as a fifth-year senior and totaled 69 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and five sacks.
- Was a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award as a senior, given to the nation’s best defensive college football player.
- Started all 13 games as a senior and led the defensive line with 79 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and eight sacks.
- Played in all 13 games with two starts at defensive end as a junior and posted 25 tackles, 9½ tackles for loss, five sacks and one forced fumble.
- Redshirted as a freshman in 2014.
- Played linebacker and quarterback at Thomas Jefferson High School in Jefferson Hills, Pa.
- Totaled 149 tackles, 22 sacks, seven fumble recoveries and one interception on defense and carried the ball 119 times for 1,031 yards and 17 touchdowns on offense during his career.
- Registered 57 tackles, 13 sacks, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries as a senior.
- Completed 14-of-29 passes for 210 yards and three touchdowns and registered 981 yards on 115 carries as a senior.
- Enrolled in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, majoring in Evolutionary Anthropology.
- Father, Peter, played basketball at Bethany College (1977-81) and mother, Nina, was a presidential fitness award recipient.
- The Patriots selected DL Chase Winovich in the third round out of Michigan. Winovich is the fifth player from Michigan to be drafted by the Patriots under Bill Belichick, joining QB Tom Brady (2000), LB Shawn Crable (2008), P Zoltan Mesko (2010) and WR Jeremy Gallon (2014).