How do I view and change the system locale settings to use my language of choice?
This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Java displays in an incorrect language.
The system locale is not set to use the language of choice.
- You must be logged in with an account that has administrative privileges in order to change the system locale.
- The appropriate language packs should be installed on the operating system.
View the System Locale settings for Windows
- Click Start, then Control Panel
- Click Clock, Language and Region
- Windows 10, Windows 8: Click Region
Windows 7: Click Region and Language
Windows XP: Click Regional and Language Options
The Region and Language options dialog appears.
- Click the Administrative tab
On Windows XP, click the Advanced tab
If there is no Advanced tab, then you are not logged in with administrative privileges.
- Under the Language for non-Unicode programs section, click Change system locale and select the desired language.
- Click OK
- Restart the computer to apply the change.
Check the Windows display language
If you are still not seeing the correct language, check the primary language is selected under the Windows display language settings.
» Change a display language (microsoft.com)